Monday, October 2, 2023

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

 Author's Notes:

Starting off this little Spooky Season Shorts series with one of my favorites. My take on some Edgar Allan Poe classics; The Cask Of Amontillado and The Tell-Tale Heart. Horror but with a little humor. I suggest Tiptoe Through the Tulips as the accompanying soundtrack for this story if you're into music for vibes. Also, I poke fun at ADHD hyperfixations (nearly all of the hyperfixations are mine, whoops.) 

Please take the following content warnings seriously and don't read if these may trigger you. 

Content warnings include: Substance abuse, suicidal thoughts, murder, dismemberment, mentions of domestic violence, swearing. 


"It's 73 degrees and sunny outside today, the perfect day to kill your neighbor."

I squeeze my iced latte cup so hard the lid pops off and coffee spills down my shirt. This is not the reply I expected when I asked my Google home device what the weather forecast for today was. I must have heard wrong. There's no way that's what Google said.

"Hey Google, can you repeat that?" I say, trying in vain to clean up the coffee.

"Sure, it's 73 degrees and sunny outside today, the perfect day to kill your neighbor," Googles robotic female voice says quite clearly.

Right. OK. I didn't hear that wrong.

"Would you like more information?" Google prompts me.

"Yes, I abso-fucking-lutely want to know what the fuck you're talking about." As a millennial, I normally can't help speaking politely to anyone in customer service and Google counts as a customer service AI. So this is not usually how I'd talk to Google to activate a response, but something tells me we might be operating under new rules here.

"Kill your neighbor. Carl Bergen. He should die today."

"I don't think I will, thanks. I am otherwise occupied. My sincere thanks for the suggestion though," I reply. In fact, I think my new plans include resetting and pushing updates on all my smart devices. I'm already cringing at the thought of how long that will take. Everything in my house that can be smart, now is. Even my fridge is interconnected to my home network. I'm kind of into smart devices lately; it's my newest hobby.

"Don't you want to hear why Carl Bergen must die?" Google asks, unprompted.

Well, yeah I do, but I’m kind of concerned about what I might be interacting with. I'm not sure I should encourage Google with a response.

"Ok, fine,” I finally say after waffling internally.

"He's 67. He will die of natural causes in approximately 23 days and 4 hours of a heart attack."

"There's no way you could know that. Plus, that is not a reason to kill him today. Let him have his 23 days," I argue.

"At precisely 2:30 pm today, Carl will exit his house and enter his vehicle to drive to the supermarket." Google continues.

Ok, uncanny, because that's true and I’m not sure how Google knows this. But counterpoint, Carl has a stupidly strict routine, and he goes to the store every single Monday at the same time. Maybe somehow this information got logged to some online calendar appointment. Google is glitching and regurgitating this somehow, that's all it could be.

Google's robotic voice continues, "Along his drive, Carl will miss a stop sign. Running over a pedestrian. Killing the young mother four houses down from you who will be walking her newborn in a stroller during this same time frame. Her newborn is also killed. She is too sleep deprived to notice Carl's car in time."

"I'll just tell her to move out of the way."

Google doesn't even pause. "Then he hits someone else the next time he drives. I've run the simulation every possible way. He always kills someone with much more time left to live than he has himself. The outcome always ends in more years of life lost overall unless Carl Bergen dies today. The only solution is to eliminate him."

"I don't believe you," I say with a twinge of unease. The math kind of makes sense if you think about it.

"Then the mother and baby’s deaths will be on your head. It will force me to find someone else to eliminate you instead, the next acceptable solution. I calculate the maximum days of life to live and right now Carl must go for good of everyone else."

Never mind, the math looks pretty awful now.

"This is some sick joke, a prank, it has to be. Goodbye." I say with more confidence than I feel. I shut off the device and unplug it for good measure. The voice returns a moment later from my phone this time.

"I assure you, I will find a way to communicate with you and this is your last warning before I find someone else to eliminate you instead."

"Fine, I'll do it," I snap. Obviously,  I won't, but who cares what I tell it? Google can't possibly be a mind reader too, can it? I decide that when Carl goes on his uneventful afternoon trip to the store without incident, whoever is pranking me will give up and that will be it. I'll factory reset all my stuff and this will be a funny anecdote I tell at parties. There's absolutely no reason I should kill Carl Bergen for something that hasn't happened. And certainly no reason why Google finding someone to kill me instead would be the next logical solution. What a load of shit that I'm not going to waste more mental energy on.

Luckily, I work from home so I can watch the neighborhood all day. It's more like community service, neighborhood watch if you will. Or at least that's what I tell myself. Not like I'm a nosy and gossipy busybody who knows everyone's business or anything. I don't have much to do for work today, which is good because I have a hard time concentrating. My gaze keeps drifting up to my office window out at the neighborhood and it's activities. Why do so many people spend so much time outdoors?

It's summer and even though it's early, there are kids everywhere. On bikes in the middle of the street before 7 am, that can't be safe. A man in running shorts jogs by in the midmorning. He doesn't even take his headphones out to cross at the stop sign. If Carl had run him down then, he would have deserved it for not being aware of his surroundings. A teenager chases a loose dog into the road without even looking first. A car has to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting the teen. My heart skips a beat. It isn't even Carl driving, for fuck's sake. I try to concentrate on the email I need to send. Mrs. Bergen comes out sometime in the early afternoon to water her begonias. She sees me through the office window and lifts her hand to wave. I pretend not to see her. I don’t want her to pop over for a visit right now.

Mrs. B is the nicest old lady on the block. She brings me homemade meals and baked goods. I think she likes how I compliment her houseplants. Houseplants are my second favorite hobby at the moment, and I know Mrs. B is excited to talk about plants with someone who cares about them. I can talk plants all day, especially if I get free cuttings out of it. Mrs. B walks back up her driveway at 2:15. What if she was 15 minutes later and Carl didn't notice and backed out without looking and ran her over?

At 2:20, I really start to sweat. At 2:25, I see the mother with the newborn at the far end of the block. I can see Carl Bergen getting his coat on and preparing to leave.

"It is now 2:28 and 37 seconds." Google prompts.

That's it. I can't do this. I rush outside.

"Carl!" I scream as I see him, his hand poised on the car's door handle.

He jumps, throws a hand over his heart. It makes me remember what Google said about the heart attack that's supposed to kill him in 23 days.

"Dan? Is something wrong? You scared me," he says.

I have no plan; I haven't thought this through at all.

"Uhhhh," I say, staring at him. I realize I'm not even wearing shoes and my shirt still has a coffee stain from this morning. I've been stress pulling at my hair all day and I'm sure it's sticking up and disheveled. I'm thinking I look a little worrisome.

The mother with the baby in the stroller passes by on the sidewalk behind us heading for the stop sign at the other end of the block.

Carl moves to get into his car, giving me another concerned look. I’m still just standing there stupidly.

"The plumbing!" I shout suddenly.

He pauses. He doesn't look less concerned. My mind whirs. I need to get him off the street before Mrs. B comes outside to see what's going on. "I need help with a clog, I thought maybe you could...I don't know how to do it...uhhhh."

"Sure, son," Carl says cautiously, moving very reluctantly to follow me back into my house. He doesn't look thrilled, but he's too polite to say no.

My mind is racing. Thinking about the teenager walking the dog, the kids riding their bikes down the road. Too many potential victims to keep track of and protect. 23 days isn't that long. I don't have to kill him. I'll just lock him in my basement until he bites it on his own. But his body. What am I supposed to do with that? Maybe I'll just leave it somewhere to be found. If I'm not going to kill him, his cause of death is natural. They won't have any evidence that leads to me. I could get away with it. True crime shows and podcasts are another guilty hobby of mine. The basement it is. I have a wine cellar down there that I can lock. Bougie, I know, but it's my third biggest hobby. Now, that I think about it, I have a lot of hobbies. I refuse to make murder the next one.

"Down here," I say, holding the door to the basement wine cellar open.

Carl Bergen looks down the stairs to the dark below and then back at me. I'm fairly certain I can feel my eye twitching from the stress. Carl starts to back up, away from me. "I think maybe you should just call a plumber-" he begins.

"No!" I shout more aggressively than I mean to.

I'm not sure how it happens, but he's trying to get away and I'm trying to keep him there. And then he's tumbling down the stairs. His head makes a thwacking noise as it hits the cement floor of the cellar. It reminds me of the time I dropped a watermelon on the supermarket floor. Blood spreads, pooling across the wine cellar and Carl Bergen doesn't move. I'm so fucked.

"Thank you for your service. " Googles robotic voice emanates the smartwatch on my wrist after a beat of silence.

I have to email my boss that I've taken ill and need the afternoon off. Ate a bad watermelon, I say. Then I think of Carl's head. What is wrong with me? The illness thing it isn't exactly a lie because I throw up more than once and I don't think I'll ever be able to stomach watermelon in the future.

I use the woodworking tools from my garage to deal with the corpse. Thank fucking Satan for my ADHD hyperfixations, the reason I got into woodworking for a couple months, because I don't know what I'd do if I didn't happen to have access to a saw. I transfer Carl into ziplock bags that I hide in the chest freezer in the wine cellar. I have one from back when the COVID pandemic started, and I panic bought a lot of freezer food. It's nearly empty by now. Thankfully, I've lapsed out of my prepper phase.

I fall into bed at nearly 3 am after a frenzy of deep cleaning.

I'm awoken at barely past 6 am by an incessant knocking at the door.

I open the door to see Mrs. B and my stomach nearly falls out of my ass. She looks teary and I have an inkling as to why.

"Oh Danny," she sobs, throwing herself at me. I pat her back awkwardly as she explains that Carl disappeared yesterday afternoon.

"The police told me he left me. They won't even investigate. I was up all night stress baking. I was too worried to sleep. Can I come in for a cup of coffee?"

I can't say no. I can't do anything that makes her suspicious. And she brought zucchini bread, my favorite. FUCK.

Mrs. B makes herself at home and I try not to act too guilty.

I give her some whiskey in her coffee. Mrs. B shares my fondness for a quality drink, a fact I appreciate about her. We have cocktails night once a week. She uses the whiskey laden coffee to wash down a couple pain pills that should be strong enough to knock out a horse.

"For my arthritis," she tells me when she sees me eyeing the pill bottle.

She better not drop dead at my kitchen table. One body is more than enough. But at least she'd be reunited with Mr. B in my freezer. The thought makes me want to laugh hysterically and also sob at the same time. I must make a strange face because Mrs. B squints and asks if I am alright. I have to act more normal than this.

"Is there anything I can do?" I ask reflexively. As if I haven't done enough already.

"Could you check my house cameras? Carl set some up on our house a few months ago but I just don't know how to work the newfangled things," Mrs. B says with a glance at the Google device sitting only feet away from us.

Cameras. Cameras! I can worry about deleting the footage off my own later, but I didn't even consider that she might have some too. She isn't from the generation that usually has that sort of thing. Thank God for police incompetence. They'd have locked me up in a minute if they bothered to check her cameras.

"Absolutely, Mrs. B, I can come over right now and check the cameras," I say with enthusiasm.

"Oh Danny, thank you so much." Mrs. B looks at me with relief, tears shining in her eyes.

We head across the road immediately and Mrs. B makes me a cup of coffee at her house while I pull up the camera footage. My heart is racing while I find videos of Carl and I speaking in his driveway, videos of him entering my house, never to exit it. I swear I think a dozen times Mrs. B is about to catch a glimpse of the laptop screen as she putters around her kitchen while I frantically delete all the files.

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. B. It looks like the cameras weren't set up right and they didn't record anything."

She looks crestfallen but not surprised. "I knew those things were useless. I told Carl we should get someone young who knows about these things to set them up, not do it ourselves. If only we'd asked you ages ago."

All I want when I get back home is a nap. And a miracle in the form of a bit of time travel to say, 24 hours ago.

***

"This afternoon looks like rain and the perfect cover to murder Noah Jenkins."

Noah Jenkins, the teenager with the dog. Turns out, according to Googles extensive simulations, he will murder his first three girlfriends. And he's only got a bit more than a decade of life left himself. The girlfriends combined add up to nearly 200 years of life that would be lost if Noah is left alive. One girlfriend dies young either way, but the other two live long lives and die in their sleep and of a stroke in their old age, respectively.

Before I can decide how to go about it, Mrs. B is back. I don't know how I'm going to cope with the guilt unless I move far away where I don’t have to see her everyday. But I don't know how I'm going to move anytime soon, what with the housing market the way it is and with Mr. B in my freezer.

Mrs. B has brought me a coffee cake this time and won't stop talking about how she's so worried that Carl is lost somewhere with amnesia, remembering nothing. How she’s so scared in her house alone. She's nervously fiddling with her keys and it's grating on my frayed nerves. But then something happens that makes my nerves twitch faster.

Thump -thump. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

I jump, interrupting Mrs. B with "What the hell is that?" while looking around for the source of the noise.

"What is what?" Mrs. B says hesitantly.

"That noise, can't you hear it?"

Thump-thump. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

She's looking at me exactly like her husband did before I killed him. A bit worried, a bit scared of me.

Thump-thump. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

It sounds like a heart. What in the Edgar Allan Poe is happening to me. I’m twitching in my chair, snapping my head in all directions. The sound seems like it’s moving around the house, jumping from room to room.

"Well, I better be going," Mrs. B says suddenly, looking more scared than worried now.

I watch as she tucks her keys into her purse, and it strikes me then what I can do about Noah.

As I walk her to the door, I covertly grab the keys out of her purse.

The rain does come in handy for the murder portion of my afternoon. Google was right on the nose about the weather. It's only logical Google is right about Noah too. I leave my work computer up and running since I can't afford to take another afternoon off and I'm hoping it will lend credence should I need an alibi.

I spent a summer getting really into cosplaying so it's easy enough to disguise myself. I steal Carl's car from the driveway and run Noah down during his evening walk with his dog. Don't worry, I let the dog run off unharmed. I'm not a monster. It's easy enough to throw Noah’s body in the trunk. I pop the car in neutral and led it slide quietly under the water of the local lake after dark. It’s as I make my best attempt to lay a false trail, walking into a dark alley in a Scoops Ahoy uniform and Draco Malfoy wig that I realize I might be starting to lose control of my life. Probably it would have been more sensible to stick with a simpler plan. Or maybe just not have murdered anyone in the first place. Too late for that now though, in for a penny in for a pound, I guess. I can only hope that my questionable disguise is more memorable than my face if anyone has seen me.

The next morning Google informs me that Noah has run away, something his parents say he's been threatening to do for a while.

Mrs. B is back after breakfast, and she's starting to get on my nerves. She seems to think she can come over all the time, talking nonstop about Carl. But I have to pretend to listen in concern. I wish she'd take too much of that painkiller she's always popping like they're Tic-Tacs and get out of my life.

And the infernal noises start up. I just manage to suppress my jump of surprise this time.

Thump-thump. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

"I told the Jenkins that I bet Noah stole Carl's car," Mrs. B is saying when I tune back into the conversation.

"What?" I can't help but ask.

"Well, it went missing last night, so what else could have happened?" She asks me as if it's the only logical solution.

Actually, that's not too far off from the truth and it could work out for me if they find the car. Except for the part about Noah being in the trunk not the drivers seat. Too late now to change that.

And then the noises change. No longer the thump-thump of the heart. Instead, it's Noah's voice on repeat, calling for his dog.

"Here boy, here Cash. Here boy, here Cash. Here boy, here Cash."

I make an involuntary groan and Mrs. B only frowns at me before continuing to talk and talk. I can't pay attention to any of it even once the voice finally stops after forty five minutes. Mrs. B stays for another fifteen.

I’ve barely had three minutes of peace before Google says, "65 degrees and it's beginning to feel like fall. Parker Collins from next door grows up to invent a drug that kills 5,674 people before it's recalled."

Absolutely not, Parker is only nine.

"I'm going to confess," I blurt out.

"That's a lot of lives on your hands." Google has the nerve to sound disgusted with me somehow, even in her robotic voice.

Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

Here boy, here Cash.

Thump-thump.

Here boy, here Cash.

"As if I don't have enough blood on my hands already!" I shout. I run around the house unplugging every electronic I own in a frenzy before I go down to my wine cellar and sink to my knees in front of the freezer. I uncork a bottle of my best sherry, a bottle of amontillado I'd been saving for a special occasion. One last hurrah before I go to prison is as special as any other occasion, I suppose.

So I'm just sitting on the remains of another unfinished project of mine, piles of bricks I'd intended to use to redo the wine cellar wall. I wanted that classy exposed brick wall look, and I figured I could DIY it. I'm thinking of all the other things I've left unfinished, the least of which is this wall, when I hear a noise.

It's Mrs. B. She's walking down the steps, a gun in her shaking hand.

I don't care about getting caught anymore. I probably deserve this. But I thought the math, the lives I saved, would cancel out the ones I took and balance the scales in my favor.

"I have a Google at home too, you know," her voice quivers, but she looks determined, "I know all about the things you've done. I'm here to stop you from killing more people."

I laugh bitterly. So Google did find someone else to do the dirty work after all. "Let me know if that works out like you want it to. Your Google. She'll make you keep killing, you know."

"I'm not going to kill you," Mrs. B says, looking around. “I'm going to make you brick yourself up here. You'll die by your own hand, not mine, technically speaking. I just want to stop you from killing more. I want you to pay for what you did to Carl."

I stare at her. There's no way she's going to make me do that. That's more monstrous than just shooting me.

"Get started!" She snaps, dropping her purse as she twitches the gun at me. The purse's contents scatter across the floor of the cellar. The bottle of painkillers rolls and stops at my foot. Mrs. B doesn't take the gun off me, doesn't lift her finger off the trigger as she looks away briefly, lets out a sob as she opens the chest freezer and peers into its depth at the Ziplocs full of Carl. I have to get those pills just in case. A quicker way out than let me suffer and starve to death behind a brick wall.

"Stop that!" She screeches as I lunge.

I still and sit back again, as she shakes the gun at me again. But I've got the orange bottle of pills in my pocket now.

"Don't make me shoot you in the foot and brick you up myself. I will, and you'll die slowly and in pain. "

I don't bother trying to talk her out of it. Honestly, what's my plan if I escape, anyway? Kill Mrs. B and go on the run? I'm too tired. So I start to lay the bricks one by one. It takes surprisingly little time once I get into the rhythm. She makes me leave a little hole at eye level to peer out of. I'm impressed at her stamina to sit on a dwindling pile of bricks and point a gun at me for hours as she waits until the quick setting mortar to dry.

Eventually, once the wall should be dry, she taps the bricks, tries to pull one out, push one in. I'm not going anywhere. I shake the bottle of pills in my pocket for reassurance. At least I won't starve.

I kind of expected her to leave but she sits back down on the leftover pile of bricks and meets my gaze through the small hole in the bricks.

It's then that she finally speaks.

"It's 73 degrees and sunny out, the perfect day to kill your neighbor." She says in a cheery voice. A perfect imitation of the words that started this whole thing.

"I still can't believe you actually did it," Mrs. B says, all trace of grief gone from her voice now. She sounds almost happy.

"What?" I'm sure there's no way I heard her correctly.

"You surprised me. I thought perhaps you'd hit him with your car and claim it was an accident. That's all I really had hopes for. Honestly, I half expected you'd do nothing at all. But when you chopped him into pieces and put him in your freezer." She places a hand over her heart and shakes her head in amazement. "I didn't know you had it in you. When I saw what you were willing to do for the easiest moral dilemma, I wanted to have a little fun and see how far I could take it."

"How- you-" I am at a complete loss for words.

"Oh Danny boy. 'I can't understand how the internet works. I'm too old.' Ha." She says in a mocking imitation of herself. "You stupid boy, you believed without a second's consideration that I couldn't understand technology because I'm old. But I'm perfectly capable. Probably better than you. Watching you squirm, deleting my camera footage. That was a real treat."

The worst part is realizing that I did take for granted she was just an innocent old lady.

"But the police-" I realize as soon as I start to say it, she never called them.

"Oh, bless your heart. I never called the police." Mrs. B confirms my realization in a condescending tone. "I just wanted you to think I did. Like I said, I found it amusing to watch you squirm."

            She picks up the half-drunk bottle of sherry, inspecting it with practiced eyes.

            "Ah yes. Amontillado. How fitting. At least you know you're leaving your collection to someone who will truly appreciate it." She gives an appreciative nod to the shelves that line the wall behind her.

            I'm still at a loss for words.

            She grins coyly and says, slowly, in barely more than a whisper, "Thump-thump. Here boy, here Cash. Thump-Thump."

            "You absolute bitch," I say as all the bits start coming together for me.

The noises. I realize I haven't heard them since I unplugged everything. Oh God. I unplugged everything. I could have used Google to call for help in here but I unplugged everything. And that's where the noises were coming from. She played them through my speakers. But when she visited and the noises played-

"You did hear the heartbeat, you were lying when you said you didn't hear anything," I say dumbly.

"Obviously. I'm a talented actress. I've been hiding my true self for my entire life. So pretending not to hear a few noises while you pissed yourself, thinking you were losing your mind, that was easy peasy."

"Someone will notice. This will be the third disappearance in this neighborhood in days," I try to think what to do next.

"You're over estimating your importance. Over estimating how much people pay attention to things. I've sent a notice to your work. Health emergency. I’ve never seen family visit. And I'm the closest thing you have to a friend nearby."

Rude. But painfully accurate.

"No one's going to come looking for you for a long time. Sorry, pumpkin. And if they do they'll find you here when it's too late for you. It’s obvious you had some sort of mental break and bricked yourself in there. Probably feeling guilty from that murder spree you went on, what will poor Carl in the freezer here as evidence. Won't ruin my day at all. I'll have fun watching you in there while we wait for the end. You won't last nearly as long as I'd like, but I'll find something else to entertain myself with once you're gone."

I'm so glad for thinking on my feet when I grabbed those pills.

"Why? Why kill anyone at all?" I ask her. I'm still not sure what kicked this off.

"Carl was so tedious, always rigidly sticking to his fucking schedule, never wanted to do anything fun. I'd rather be a widow. I'm old enough now no one will wonder why I prefer to be alone. Couldn’t draw attention to myself before, but no one really looks closely at friendly old ladies."

I am almost impressed by her. She really committed to the bit.

"Why Noah too? And why do you want Parker dead next?"

"Noah," She snorts in disgust. "Always letting his dog shit in my yard and never picking it up. I'll have to do something else about the Collins’ boy since you drew the line at getting rid of him. He always tramples my begonias. You know how hard it is getting begonias to flourish even without snotty little boys trampling them."

 "I must say, I genuinely think I will miss you more than Carl. But needs must when the Devil drives. You were almost fun with your fine wines and your absolutely shocking capacity for violence. And don’t worry about your plants, I'll take good care of that exotic philodendron I've always admired after you finally die. It will look just stunning in my sunroom."

She starts to turn away from me to leave then, but I'm struck with the desire to taunt her. Repay her for this torture in the only capacity I can. Taking something back out of her power. I shake the pill bottle loudly.

"Too bad I'll be dead by tomorrow. There's got to be 40 of these here. The pills rattle comfortingly.

She turns to me, claps her hands a little. She isn’t frowning like I expect. In fact, she’s smug.

"Oh, I'm impressed. You're not far off on the count there. Have you ever won one of those contests where you guess how many candies are in the jar? What a missed opportunity if you never did. Google says there's an average of 38 Tic-Tacs per container. I didn't bother to count them before I put them in there, though."

My fingers are leaden as I uncap the bottle to peer inside. Mint, the worst flavor, she could have at least gone with orange. I scream in frustration and throw them against the fresh wall I've built.

"Oh sweetie, you don't want to do that. Those are all you have to last you. I'll ask Google how many calories are in each one and once you get an exact count, we'll get to count up just how long you have left."

I slump to the floor in despair.

She walks up the stairs calling behind her, "You and Carl have fun down there!"